I began my martial arts training in April 1980, having trained under Grandmaster Shin, Hyun-Ok, 9th d, Chung Do Kwan Taekwondo in Floral Park, NY. Over the years, I've moved and served in the military, so, my practice in martial arts varied, as I briefly trained in wing tsun, boxing, and wrestling.
I settled into more formal training with Grandmaster Shin, Tong-Shin (5th d, Kukkiwon Taekwondo, under Grandmaster Jhoon Rhee) in Randolph, NJ, and trained with him for about 10 years, having earned my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd dan under his training.
I moved and continued to train in Taekwondo, even to present day, under Park, Yeung-Keun (6th d, ITF Taekwondo, under Grandmaster John Chung) in Parsippany, NJ.
In addition to Taekwondo, I also currently train in Aikido, under Sensei Greg O'Connor (7th d, Aikikai, under Sensei Morihiro Saito) in East Hanover, NJ.
I have earned a 4th Dan in Kukkiwon Taekwondo (WTF), 4th Dan in ITF Taekwondo, and 3rd Kyu in Aikikai Aikido, and presently train in all 3 styles, and teach ITF Taekwondo. I occasionally officiate and/or compete at Grandmaster John Chung's tournaments.
In addition to martial arts, I'm an avid outdoorsman, having been part of the Boy Scouting program since the 1970's, and am active even today. I am a merit badge counselor (camping, cooking, pioneering, hiking, and backpacking). I've earned my Eagle Rank, and have been a scoutmaster, cubmaster, committee member, and assistant scoutmaster; and as well, served on council and district training committees, where my functions consisted of training trainers, scouts, and scouters. I took Woodbadge (NE-III-105), and took and staffed JLTC (now NYLT). As such, I'm a staunch supporter of trained leadership and try to bring Boy Scout leadership ideals to all aspects of my life, be it in scouts, martial arts, or my regular day job.
Note, formerly, my ID on this site was "Wigwam".
Member for 2 years, 6 months
3 profile views
Last seen Jun 16 at 22:46
- Martial Arts 3.7k 3.7k 88 silver badges1717 bronze badges
- The Great Outdoors 2.2k 2.2k 33 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 869 869 99 silver badges1616 bronze badges
- Academia 711 711 33 silver badges66 bronze badges
- User Experience 347 347 22 silver badges66 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 64 How do you take field notes at below 0 °C, without freezing fingers?
- 58 Are HTTPS headers encrypted?
- 45 Using nonstandard gender-neutral pronouns to refer to myself in academic writing
- 25 Why does Google still use paging instead of progressive loading?
- 23 How do you refill your alcohol stove while it's burning?
- 13 Using a thermometer for hypothermia diagnosis in backcountry?
- 12 What is the jurisdiction of the Khashoggi murder case?
- View more network posts →