Especially now that Firearms.SE is shutting down, I think this topic is worth looking at in a little more detail. In some respects this is revisiting What questions about firearms are on topic?, but I'm trying to drill down a little more now looking at the scope of what was being asked on Firearms.SE. Essentially, "what from them do we want."
There's a bit of a challenge here because the general rule seems to be that while firearm training should by all accounts be considered a martial art, it usually seems to involve a culturally distinct community from people who train in other martial arts. We do not want to become a "shooting SE," but there are also topics regarding guns that are immediately relevant in the martial arts world.
Personally, I feel that the following firearms-related questions are more likely or definitely on topic for us, or can be adapted without too much loss of specificity:
- Tueller Drills, both knife and gun side. Really, on that note, CQC in general that may involve guns since this may emphasize the "martial" side of the equation. Some of these are going to be clearer than others.
- Martial arts that employ guns in the their training and how they incorporate them.
- As mentioned elsewhere: disarms, etc which are commonly trained are certainly on-topic.
The following I am less certain about, or some may be on topic and some may not.
- General questions regarding training and drills specifically with firearms. I'd argue that How can I practice for a combat situation? should be on-topic here, but am less certain about a question such as What should be accuracy expectations and goals for the beginner pistol shooter?
- Weapon/Equipment Safety (in the theory that if weapon safety for a katana is on topic, I'd go with weapon safety for bullets works the same). There is a bit of a range here, running from Will rounds be set off if they are handled roughly? The distinction being that gun safety is a pretty massive topic in its own right, and while I am not sure we want all of it here there are some things we might want or that might be interesting for people here, e.g., When do you keep your finger out of trigger guard in tactical situations?
There are also some questions that I feel are almost entirely off topic:
- Specific equipment questions, e.g., Why is some ammunition coated?, What to look for in a scope?, and Left handed, semi-auto shotguns besides Benelli? Really any in-depth technical or equipment questions.
- Questions that focus on static shooting or hunting (too much of a culture gap and too little applicability to domain experts that we have here now), e.g., How do decoy and pass chokes compare with IC and M chokes for waterfowl hunting?
The long and short of it is that I feel that there's very little we are going to successfully draw from Firearms.SE directly or that we should migrate from there, but that we might consider keeping a broader topic scope around firearms than we might otherwise if Firearms.SE continued to exist.